Wednesday, May 27, 2015

Nursery Progress

So I am finally here to share the progress we have made on Mason's nursery since we started working on it! I say finally like we're running out of time, but actually, I think we are pretty far ahead of the game on this one. We found out at 17 weeks that we are having a boy, and pretty much immediately hit the ground running on getting the nursery all ready for his arrival. At 25 weeks, we still have empty drawers, extra space, and plenty of bookshelves to fill up with everything we will get from the shower...but all the big stuff is done. Walls are painted, carpeting is installed, furniture is up, and decor is coming along!

I've known for probably a good year before even becoming pregnant that if I ever had a baby boy, I wanted to do a vintage travel theme in his nursery. And so Mason's nursery theme is none other than a vintage travel theme in light grey, light blue, cream and tan...along with little elephant, giraffe, and lion accents. (P.S. the lighting is very challenging in this room...so please bear with me!)

The first thing you see when you walk up to the nursery is this coffee filter wreath I made for his door. I  incorporated all the colors of the nursery, along with the travel theme by using little map print paper luggage tags to create a banner with his name on it. I make and sell handmade & custom-made wreaths like this in my Etsy shop. If you would like to check it out...just click here!



When you open the door, you see the opposite wall which is a big, built-in bookshelf. This area has become the main focal point of the room. Prior to having the room painted, the walls and bookshelf were a very dark brown wood paneling. The bookcase really didn't look like anything special, but once it was all painted, I absolutely fell in LOVE with it. All of the paint colors are by Benjamin Moore. The main, tan color is called Broken Arrow and the trim work and front of the bookshelf is Fog Mist (which ended up being an incredible match to the furniture we chose!) The ceiling color is Blue Springs, as well as the letters that are spelling his name across the top. 


My mom & dad bought me the glider which is the Kacy Collection Preston Glider in Cargo Pumice from Babies R Us. I found a throw with the perfect blend of colors to drape over it (and use to snuggle with) from Home Goods. If you read my Nursery Planning and Inspiration post, I talked about how I wanted to stack some vintage looking suitcases as part of the decor. I found just the right ones at Home Goods as well!


We obviously have a lot of filling up to do on the bookshelves, but I'm working on finding little things here and there. I registered for several more of the giraffe bins at Babies R Us to fill with books that I choose not to display, or any other odds and ends. (I suspect that after the baby shower, we will have more than enough to fill up these shelves with!)

On the wall to the right, is the Truly Scrumptious by Heidi Klum Chifferobe in the color Mist. Since the room does not actually have a closet in it, a chifferobe or armoire was on the top of my list as far as what I was looking for in terms of nursery furniture. I saw this set the first time my mom and I went looking around Babies R Us when I found out I was expecting, and pretty much knew immediately it was the one I wanted. I love everything about this furniture set, especially all the detailing on it. (And I cannot wait to put our little baby boy in that sweet little sleeper I've got hanging on the front!)


On the opposite wall is our changing table, which is actually the double dresser from the Truly Scrumptious by Heidi Klum set. The changing table topper was sold separately and is detachable. I've already started filling the drawers with lots of Burt's Bee's Baby burp clothes, bodysuits, and more. I found the elephant and giraffe wall hangings at Cribs to College, which is a huge semi-local store for baby and youth furniture. They have all the furniture set up in decorated displays and you can also purchase any of the decor you see in the store. When I found these in the perfect colors, I knew I had to have them...hence where the elephant, giraffe, and lion accent idea was born. 



Finally, on the wall opposite the bookshelf is Mason's crib. We angled it in the corner which added some nice dimension to the room, instead of having all the furniture flush against each wall. His crib is the Truly Scrumptious by Heidi Klum 4-in-1 Lifetime Crib in Mist. One of my favorite finds was this Sadie & Scout World Map Crib Sheet from Babies R Us. I was just so jazzed to find a crib sheet that went with perfectly with the travel theme!



I have always dreamed of having a chandelier in my baby's nursery. But along with no closet, this room also has no ceiling light. My mom came to my rescue and found this amazing chandelier floor lamp from RH Baby & Child (you can find it here). And even more amazingly, decided to buy it for us. (I've mentioned before how extremely generous my parents always are to us, right?!) And I know I've said I am just absolutely in love with everything in this room, but this lamp seriously might take the cake! It was the most beautiful finishing touch to this nursery and I am so appreciative that we have it!


So like I said, all the big stuff is done! I'm still on the hunt for the perfect globe and we still need the sound machine, the diaper pail, the humidifier...all the little accessories. (I can't even wrap my mind around all the stuff you need for a baby and where everything is going to go.) But I think we have a pretty great start for our little guy! And I'm so happy we got an early start, because for now...I can just sit back, relax & enjoy the room (and dream of what it's going to be like when Mason is here and in it!)

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!