Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Nursery Planning and Inspiration

Nursery progress is officially under way! And I can't believe how fast everything is falling into place. Not that is hasn't been weeks and weeks in the making, (my mom and I have been shopping around since the day after we told her we were expecting). Funny enough, even though I really thought I was having a girl for the longest time, I had everything picked out and decided upon for a boy, and barely anything decided on for a girl. So once we found out it was a boy, I was ready to hit the ground running! And that's just what we did. 

We found out it's a boy on Thursday, March 26, so Greg and I went right that Sunday and ordered all of the nursery furniture! I was told that depending on which set we chose, it could take up to 4 months to receive our order. Because of this, and the fact that we had a coupon for 15% off the furniture that was good through that Tuesday, we decided to go ahead and order right away. To our surprise, they called the next Thursday, April 2 to let us know that our furniture was already in and ready for pick up! So that really got the ball rolling. 

Greg, his brother Steven, and my dad all went on Monday morning to pick up the furniture and bring it to our house. We realized we really needed to get the room painted and carpeted ASAP, unless we wanted these huge boxes laying around our house for weeks taking up space. So Greg called a family friend that my dad recommended for the paint job, and he said he could start the job the next day, if we could have the paint picked out! Off to Benjamin Moore we went, and spent the rest of the day matching up and debating colors. The job is just about complete as I'm writing this post, and we have a carpeting consultation set up for Saturday. So like I said...everything is falling into place really fast! 

Before I have the nursery practically done, I first wanted to share some of the nursery inspiration I had found for {IF} it was a boy! Like every woman of a certain age, I of course had my (secret) Pinterest board for dreaming about babies and nurseries. For a boy, all of the nursery pictures I loved ended up having a common theme: vintage travel. And a similar color scheme: tans, greys, and light blue. 

I think one of the first pictures I found that gave me the travel theme bug was this one with the world map wall mural. The light blue background with tan map are the exact colors I gravitate towards for a baby boy's nursery. I'm obsessed with this! I knew that I wouldn't be able to replicate it in our nursery, because we will be painting over wood paneling, and the lines going down the paneling wouldn't work as well as a flat wall. But I would definitely like to incorporate the map idea in some way. (I also love the suitcase on the bookshelf!)


I also love the look of this map print I found on Etsy. It's the perfect colors and the perfect saying. There will certainly be plenty of adventures awaiting our little boy as he begins his life (and for us in our new life as first time parents!) This may or may not be making an appearance in our baby boy's nursery.


What better accent to a vintage travel themed room than some vintage suitcases! I love this idea of stacking a few suitcases, opening the top one and filling it with decor. I will definitely be replicating this idea in my own way! (The perfect globe is another must-have item on my list!)



Here are just a couple examples of the overall look I'm going for in the room. I love the look of a neutral, light, airy and elegant nursery, with a little bit of a masculine edge. As I've mentioned...mostly light greys, tans, and pretty pale blue. If you flip through an RH Baby & Child catalog (my favorite for inspiration), they show a lot of neutrals with just a touch of pink or blue...and beautiful lighting. Just like the pictures below! ( And I LOVE the neutral, animal print rug on the right!)


Finally, just a look at the nursery furniture we chose, the Truly Scrumptious by Heidi Klum set in Mist. We got all three pieces, the crib (with full-size bed conversion kit), the double dresser with changing table topper, and the chifferobe. This was the set I loved since the first time we went looking around our Babies R Us. Greg had a little concern that it wasn't masculine looking enough. But I just loved the neutral elegance of it. In the end, it just looked best with everything we had picked out and the entire look I was going for. It's the prefect 'greige' (grey/beige) color and I'm just absolutely obsessed with it

     


So there is a little peak inside of my brain as far as what I'm thinking for our little man's nursery. I have thought for a long time that this would be the perfect theme for a baby boy's nursery and had found a lot of inspiration for it. I'm so excited to be able to bring it to life!

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!