Thursday, June 11, 2015

Never Been So Happy To Pass A Test...

I PASSED MY 3 HOUR GLUCOSE TOLERANCE TEST! 

Prayers were answered and I have honestly never been happier to find out that I passed a test before in my life.  It was a bit of a stressful week for me, but I am grateful I can now relax and enjoy the rest of my pregnancy while still being able to SAFELY indulge in some treats every now and then.

Besides wanting to update you all on the status of my test, I also wanted to devote a post to my experience and what I've learned from going through this little bump in the road during my pregnancy. I think I've mentioned on the blog before how I am just one of those people who always likes to feel prepared, and know as much about a situation as I can beforehand. I want to know exactly what I am getting myself into, and how to prepare for it so I can walk into any given situation with confidence, and know how to handle it. Needless to say, I am NOT a fan of surprises! I was ridden with A LOT of anxiety over both of these tests (the 1 hour screening test and the 3 hour tolerance test), for the most-part, because I was given no certain set of directions or explanation about them. I was hearing different opinions from different sources, and wasn't sure at all what to expect. In fact, looking back now, I even feel as though I was slightly mislead. So I wanted to get all my thoughts and suggestions down on here while it's all still fresh in my mind, so hopefully, I can help a few other people feel better going into these tests.

Disclaimer: I am NOT a physician and have no proven medical knowledge or experience. In fact, science was one of my worst subjects in school. So I am purely speaking from my personal experience here. But here is what I WISH someone would have told me about the 1 hour glucose screening test and 3 hr glucose tolerance test beforehand.


Before the test...

First and foremost, as far as the 1 hour Glucose Screening Test is concerned, I would HIGHLY recommend that you fast beforehand. Some doctor's offices will go ahead and tell you to fast. But most, (like mine did) will insist that you can eat as you normally would before the test. In my mind, I reasoned that I would have a high protein and zero carb/sugar breakfast beforehand, because that would help me to not get sick from the drink. So about 20-30 minutes before having the glucola...I ate 2 hard-boiled eggs & 2 slices of bacon. And I truly believe this is where I went wrong and where I feel I was mislead. (It even said on the damn bottle to fast before taking the test). Again, I am not a doctor, but after the fact, my common sense tells me that any food you consume is going to slow down how quickly your body processes that sugar. Imagine if I had just eaten my normal breakfast beforehand (oatmeal made with almond milk and topped with half a banana and blueberries). Guaranteed, I would have failed by A LOT more than 2 points.

So what I would suggest is to schedule your appointment for first thing in the morning. Have a good, filling meal, a little later than normal the night before (so it will hold you over a little longer the morning of the test). Maybe just sip on a little water while you get ready for your appointment, BUT NO FOOD! If there is no way you can schedule your 1 hour for the morning, (because of work, etc.) you will obviously need to eat throughout the day. I would recommend having a high protein and low carb/sugar lunch several (about 4) hours before the test, and then nothing but water until after you take the test.

If you are stuck in my situation and have to go for the 3 hour test, I would say there is no way you can plan to go any other time than first thing in the morning, since you absolutely must fast for this test. So again, eat a good hearty dinner a little later on the night before (I had my dinner at 8pm). Then get to the lab as soon as they open the next morning to start your test (our hospital lab opened at 6am, and I was walking in the doors to register at about 6:05). Don't forget to sip on some water before you get there, as you will not be allowed any water after the drink.

Drinking the Glucola...

The rule for both tests is that you have 5 minutes to get it down. I know some people's first instinct would be to just chug that thing down as fast as you can and be done with it. But I wouldn't really suggest that. Before you start drinking, make sure the drink is well chilled. If the place has not provided you with a cold glucola drink, you can ask them to put it over ice first. Also, (if you didn't bring your own like I did) ask for a straw to drink it with. Then spread the drink out over the 5 minutes. Don't worry, you will get it in...it's not actually that much to drink. Just take a sip or two, and take a break. Let your body acclimate to it instead of shocking it.

As far as the taste is concerned...neither of them are THAT bad. I got the fruit punch flavor for my 50 gram 1 hour test, and I quite enjoyed it. It tasted just like a red Gatorade to me. I had no problem at all drinking it down. For the 100 gram 3 hour test, I got the orange flavor. This one pretty much tasted like Sunkist. Because the sugar is so concentrated, it does burn the back of your throat, and I'll be honest...it's not the most pleasant thing ever. Just think of it as carbonation (like you would get from a soda) instead of grossing yourself out over the burn. (P.S. Ask for the orange flavor at the 3 hour if that isn't what they offer you. I heard that red one tastes like Robitussin.)

During the wait...

Now it's time to wait. This was the part I was most nervous about...because I heard of all these horror stories of people feeling so awful from drinking that nasty drink (which in all actuality is not that nasty at all). I honestly felt perfectly fine from it during both tests. And I truly believe this part is ALL in your head. Keep this in mind...I can almost guarantee (unless you are a complete health nut and avoid sugar all the time at all costs) you have absolutely consumed this amount of sugar before without even giving it a second thought or realizing it. A can of regular soda has something like 32 grams of sugar in it. And think about the serving sizes of soda at your favorite fast food chain! But if you sit there and focus on how you're feeling, what's going on in your body, and how gross you thought that drink was...you might not feel all that great. If instead you keep a positive attitude, think about how it actually wasn't so bad after all, and keep your mind busy focusing on other things...you will be just fine.

That being said, bring things to help pass the time and keep you distracted during your wait. The 1 hour will fly by in no time (you can probably pass that time on your cell phone). But bringing a book would be a good idea as well, to help your mind go somewhere else. For the 3 hour, I brought a tote full of stuff! I brought my makeup bag and did my makeup after I had the drink because I knew that would keep me busy and focusing on something else. I also brought envelopes to address for my husband's diaper party, a book, and my laptop with a movie from Redbox to watch. Plenty of options...plenty of distractions. Better yet, bring someone with you to help you pass the time. My husband came with to my 3 hour, and I didn't even end up needing most of the things I brought. Like I said, I did my makeup and also addressed some envelopes the first hour. But, after that draw, they told me we could walk around and just return back every hour for the blood draw. So we wandered around the hospital, went and relaxed outside in the nice weather, and went to the chapel and prayed. The time went much faster than I expected. (The first hour is also a fun time to spend with your baby as he or she is also on a sugar high during that time (poor thing!)...trust me when I say they will be flipping and kicking and moving all over in there!)

After the test...

Congratulations! You made it! And now it's time to reward yourself. I was stressed about this part too, because I didn't know what to eat after the test. I was paranoid to eat something with too much sugar or carbs since my body just went through all that. But the nurse at my 3 hour told me to go ahead and go for it and have a nice, big meal. The test is designed so that your blood sugar should return to normal by the time you are done with it. But you will have a sugar crash (since you fasted), so don't wait! Go right away and get some food to stabilize your body again. If you can, take a little nap not long after, because you will eventually get really sleepy feeling. You should feel good as new after that! Just stay calm, wait for your results, and hope for the best!

Finally, remember that no matter the result of your test...all will be fine. I'm taking this as my gentle reminder that although my sweet tooth has been a little out of control during this pregnancy, it is important to keep it in check and nourish myself and my baby boy as well as possible. And while gestational diabetes is far from the most ideal thing to deal with during your last trimester of pregnancy...there are many things that could be far worse. It is absolutely manageable and 100% worth it to hold your sweet little baby in your arms in just a few short months.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for this! I think people think it's going to be so bad because it's even labeled "the 'dreaded' glucose test"!
    Plus I've had like a thousand milkshakes in my life with more sugar, I'm sure! Too bad they don't serve us a milkshake! :) that'd be nice!

    ReplyDelete